Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk
award-winning crime thriller by Arnaldo Lopez Jr.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

A Writers Retreat

Hey, ever been to a Writer's Retreat? Yeah, me neither. Don't get me wrong, I've always wanted to go but there were two things about doing so that I've always found to be Writer's Retreat prohibitive...
1. The cost
2. The fact that I would then have no excuse as to why I'm not writing.
  Like a lot of my fellow writers, I seem to have inherited a muse that is easily distracted, or that downright procrastinates when there's work to be done. Dirty dishes, unopened mail, social media... all seem to have that siren's call effect on my muse when it is presented with the challenge of a blank page.
  But what would my excuse be if I'm actually at a place where all anyone is expected to do is write? No distractions. No reason, real or imagined, to procrastinate. I would be expected to WRITE! And not only that, but there would be other writers present whose mere presence, in my opinion, would fill me with guilt if I were not toiling away at a new story or novel every minute that I was there.
  So, why am I anguishing over this? Well, because I was recently notified that I won a 4-day, 3-night stay at the "When Words Count" writers retreat in Vermont. It is a prize that is at once thrilling and terrifying! Thrilling because as I've said, I always wanted to go to a writers retreat. Terrifying because now I'll no choice but to face down that blank sheet of paper and write. This is probably all Colleen Vito's doing! Sorry, inside joke.
  So, in a couple of months I'll be on my way to a beautiful farmhouse in rural Vermont, my muse kicking and screaming all the way. And there will be no distractions. No procrastination. No excuses. I am going...
to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment